The educational system in Curacao is primarily based on the Dutch system. Instruction from kindergarten through primary, secondary and tertiary level is in Dutch and Papiamentu. Unlike many countries, Curacao does not offer one general stream, but three streams of secondary education:
- VSBO: 4 years of intermediate and lower vocational education
- HAVO: 5 years of general secondary education, giving access to higher professional education (‘HBO’ / undergraduate)
- VWO: 6 years of pre-university education.
Curacao International School is an accredited, non-profit, private, co-educational, day school (K-12) that provides instruction in English. The School's curriculum includes International Baccalaureate (IB) coursework that offers students the opportunity to receive the IB Diploma.
For more information, visit http://www.isc.an.
Curacao offers a wide choice of higher education programs at the following institutions:
- The University of Curaçao mr. dr. Moises Frumencio da Costa Gomez , formerly known as the University of the Netherlands Antilles (UNA), offers Bachelor and Master degrees. The faculties are: 1. Law, 2. Engineering (Architecture and Civil Engineering, Industrial Engineering, Information Engineering and Electrical Systems, Construction Management & Engineering and Techno Master in Business Administration), 3. Social Sciences & Economics (Business Administration and Accounting), 4. Arts (teacher training program Papiamento, Dutch, English and Spanish) and 5. Social & Behavioral Sciences (Social Work). Also offers a wide range of post-graduate programs. Website: www.una.an
- Curacao Institute for Social and Economic Studies (Curises). This Institute offers various degree programs and courses, including a Master of Business Administration (MBA) and Controlling program and a Bachelor (BSc.) International Hospitality & Tourism Management program. Website: www.curises.an
- University of the Dutch Carribean; a private, accredited institution that offers several Dutch associate and bachelor degrees. Website: www.udc.an
- Caribbean International University. A private institution offering Bachelor degrees in business management, communications, tourism, languages and business administration. Website: www.ciucuracao.info